Heart Healthy and Under 500 Calories!
Fall Fruit Salad
- 1 large apple, diced
- 1 large pear, diced
- 1 small red onion, minced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup walnuts or almonds
- ¼ cup of crumbled blue cheese
- Balsamic vinegar dressing
Use the bounty of fall fruit to create a perfect side dish to any meal. Toss all ingredients together and mix with balsamic vinegar dressing. Voilà - instant autumn! Serves 4-6.
Honey and Spice Pears
Courtesy of www.GoRedForWomen.org
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 small, firm pears (about 6 ounces each), peeled, halved, and cored
- 2 tablespoons sweetened dried cherries or sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
In a large nonstick skillet, stir together the cranberry juice, cinnamon, and allspice. Add the pears and cherries. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the pears are just tender-crisp. Transfer the pears with the cut side down to a serving plate. Leave the liquid in the skillet.
Cook the liquid for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until reduced to a scant 1/4 cup, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Stir in the honey. Spoon over the pears. Let cool completely, about 20 minutes. Turn the pears several times to coat with the sauce, or transfer the pears to plates and top with the sauce.
Serves 2; 126 calories per serving.
Banana Crunch Pops
Courtesy of www.HeartHealthyOnline.com
Prep: 15 minutes
Freeze: 2 hours
- 2/3 c fat-free yogurt (any flavor)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 c granola with dried fruit
- 4 flat wooden craft sticks
- 2 medium bananas, halved crosswise
Line a large baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside. Place yogurt in a small shallow dish; stir in cinnamon. Place granola in another small shallow dish.
Insert a wooden stick into each banana piece. Roll banana pieces in yogurt mixture, completely covering each piece of banana. Roll in granola to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet. Freeze about 2 hours or until firm. Before serving, let stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
Serves 4; 240 calories per serving.